Who is 261212 Web Developer?
For those who are looking to live and work in Australia, their job profession must be in accordance with the ANZSCO (Australia and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations) code information. The ANZSCO describes the job role of a web developer under the code 261212. Hence if you are looking to apply as a web developer your roles, duties, responsibilities and educational qualifications must comply with that given by the ANZSCO. Basically, a web developer is a person who builds and maintains all the websites and web applications for an organization. Generally, their work focuses on the software system and databases (the backend). One of the in-demand jobs in Australia is of a web developer. Almost all organizations, whether they are IT firms, banks, government agencies, educational institutions, accounting firms, financial services or any other small businesses, are hiring in-house web developers as well as freelancers. Hence, there are bright chances of highly skilled web developers to find a good job in Australia. The following article explains the role and duties of web developer in details.
Job Description of 261212 Web Developer
The ANZSCO alternatively titles web developers as web programmers. A web developer or a web programmer has to perform several duties considering the user-experience to the development process of web applications. The complete job description of a web developer includes the following:
- The web developers are responsible for innovative designing, layouts and development of websites and web applications of an organization.
- They mainly have to develop a web application for websites that can be accessed through the internet.
- They have to work in coordination with the managers, business analysts and designers to ensure that the final product is according to their budget and scope.
- They must possess technical skills and excellent communication ability so that they can communicate innovative ideas easily to the clients if required.
- They must have knowledge of graphical design and software programming.
- They might have to work or manage several projects together and hold client meetings.
Roles and Responsibilities of 261212 Web Developer
The daily work or job duties of a web developer may vary depending upon their projects and size of the organization they are working for. However, the typical roles and responsibilities of a web developer include the following:
- Creating the layout of the website or the user interface
- Integrating data from different databases and backend technologies
- Expanding and scaling the website is required
- Communicating with network specialists and discussing the issues with them regarding the website such as web security, data integrity, servers, user access, allocation of resources, website backup and recovery etc
- Utilizing the emerging technologies for development and maintenance of the website
- Documenting the website code, errors, bugs and technical specifications so that the other web developers and software engineers can understand them
- Optimizing the existing website design and code
- Testing the application programming interfaces (APIs) for the websites or web applications
- Developing animations, audio and video clips, graphics, images using multimedia software and programming languages
Qualifications Required for 261212 Web Developer
- For the occupation of a web developer, the applicant must have completed a bachelor or higher degree in the relevant field such as computer science, software engineering, web designing and development.
- A minimum experience of 5 years is also required in certain cases along with on-job training.
Skills Required for 261212 Web Developer
Web developers can easily demonstrate their vast knowledge of technical skills through their relevant experiences in the field. Along with this technical knowledge, there are certain qualities that a web developer can showcase to strengthen their applications such as:
- attention to details
- problem-solving attitude
- ability to meet deadlines and manage different tasks altogether
- ability to work as an individual as well providing coordination and contribution in a team
- having good organizational skills
- ability to learn new technology faster
The ANZSCO describes certain ICT core units that an applicant should confirm with in order to stand eligible for the job role of a web developer such as:
- Operating Systems
- Web design and development
- Multimedia technologies
- Mobile Design
- Client/Server Technology
- Object-Oriented Technology and Design
- Software Engineering
- Image and Data Manipulation
- Information Security
- Database Management Systems