Who is 263112 Support Engineer?
Support engineers are also known as IT Specialists or Technical Support Engineers are required in different industries such as telecom, medical, IT, automobiles, hospitality and several businesses. Many services that are available 24/7 for the customers are generally handled by the support engineers. They are responsible for solving the queries of the customers regarding technical problems, hardware and software issues, network issues or providing customer care. Different organizations have different job roles and titles for support engineer such as help desk operator, maintenance engineer, technician, or application support specialist. The job may also include replying to the emails and answering the calls of the customers and hence they require eloquent communication abilities. Applicants who wish to migrate to Australia as a support engineer have to submit an RPL report describing their key knowledge areas and eligibility to the Australian Computer Society (ACS) which is the assessing committee for the same. The complete job description and eligibility criteria are provided under ANZSCO 263112 Support Engineer.
Job Description of 263112 Support Engineer
Based on the profiles and expertise required, support engineers are hired for different purposes. The job description as described by ANZSCO is:
- Support engineers have an understanding of the information systems.
- They provide an enterprise-level support to the customers via different mediums such as email, live chat, phone calls and text messages.
- It may have to diagnose and rectify the problems faced by the customers.
- They also document the issues being resolved and how they have resolved them.
- They provide written instructions, manuals and brief steps to solve complex queries of the customers.
- They are the people who are the customers can easily trust.
- They need to provide timely solutions to the customers to ensure efficiency.
Roles and Responsibilities of 263112 Support Engineer
The individual tasks of a support engineer may vary depending upon the needs of an organization. In general, the support engineers are responsible for the smooth working of the computer systems and business. The ANZSCO 263112 support engineer roles and responsibilities include the following:
- installing hardware and software systems like operating systems and network devices
- communicating with the staff and the clients on the phone or face to face as required
- troubleshooting the problems faced by the staff or the clients and resolving their queries
- identifying the issues with the software solutions
- communicating unresolved technical issues to the technical team
- logging the issues and their descriptions properly
- prioritizing the different issues and handling each of them efficiently
- taking feedback from the clients of following up in case any issues or difficulties they might be facing afterwards
- learning new technology and software systems developed by the company
- maintaining good relations with the customers and making sure that they are completely satisfied with the solutions
- testing the new technology and evaluating them
- setting up user accounts, resolving problems related to password and sign up
- considering third parties to find the exact solution
Qualifications Required for 263112 Support Engineer
- Candidates with a graduation or a higher qualification in applicable fields related to computer science and technology such as computer software development, software engineering, information technology, computer networks, business systems engineering, internet engineering or business information technology are eligible to apply as a support engineer.
- Otherwise, the candidate may produce a relevant experience of at least 5 years in the same field or provide a vendor certification to compensate a formal education.
Skills Required for 263112 Support Engineer
The job of a support engineer as described under 263112 ANZSCO not only demands technical skills but strong interpersonal abilities to handle clients efficiently. Therefore, the candidates applying for an ACS evaluation have to represent their acquaintance with the technology and effective interpersonal skills in order to achieve positive results. The personal skills that are important for a support engineer are:
- Excellent problem-solving ability
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to focus and listen to customer issues
- Logical thinking skills
- Ability to find quick solutions based on your knowledge
- Team players skills
The ICT core units as mentioned by ANZSCO that are required for a support engineer are:
- Operating systems
- Computer networks
- Computer Organization
- Computer Auditing
- Business process re-engineering
- ICT Security
- System Software
- System Testing
- Data Communication
- Network Architecture
- Quality Management
- Operating Systems
- Software Architecture
- Data Security